Thursday, September 24, 2009

the science of 8 limbs

On Tuesday I attended a free screening of Ong Bak 2 at the dashing Somerville Theater.

Little did I know I would discover a newfound love of martial arts movies. Not that I didn't like them before, but it's almost as if I wasn't ready for them. I cite animation as my major influence in drawing and you really can't get more animated than the choreographic tangle of limbs and flying fists showcased in these types of movies. The fights are both elegant and brutal, humorous and cringeworthy. Granted, another great source to look at for pose and gesture is ballet. However, I find ballet sorely lacking in rooftop chases, rope darts, and stuntwork involving elephants. I'm picky like that.

Hungry for a knuckle sandwich.

Sweep and recover.

Thumbnails done on the T.


Um, this one wasn't in the movie.
blog comments powered by Disqus